The fourth academic year at BASIS Independent Silicon Valley was a resounding success on all counts, especially when we take a look at all of the outside activities our phenomenal students participated in.
From local meets to national competitions, BASIS Independent Silicon Valley students are a presence. Myriad interests keep our students busy and engaged. Join us in congratulating our Bobcats on a job well done!
Five of our Decathletes competed at the Academic Decathlon State Championship in Sacramento. Students participated in ten events, with two students winning bronze medals.
All of our Cross Country runners set new personal records this season.
BAY AREA BRAIN BEE
Our Neuroscience Club participated in the annual 2018 Bay Area Brain Bee, and several students progressed to the next round of regional competitions. One of our grade 11 students won the Bay Area Brain Bee and earned a spot at the National Brain Bee.
- Our Senior Team competed in the American Computer Science League All Star Contest and placed tenth.
- Fourteen of our students were honored with National Center for Women and Information Technology Awards for Aspirations in Computing this year.
Nine of our students qualified for the 2018 International Career Development Conference, and two students placed.
The BASIS Independent Silicon Valley Team placed third in the Northern California division of the National Economics Challenge.
- BISV students attended the History Bee National Tournament in Atlanta, GA, participating in both the individual and team events. In the individual event, one of grade 8 students placed in the Top 4. In the team event, one of our teams took third with the other taking nineteenth. One of our grade 7 students took second place in the Citizenship Bee championship.
- At the Northern California History Bowl and Bee Championships, one of our grade 8 students placed second in the Junior Varsity Division of the History Bee, while one of our grade 11 students placed third in the Varsity Division. BISV’s Bowl and Bee team qualified for the 2018 National Championship Tournament.
- Our team placed sixth in the MathCounts Chapter Competition, and qualified for the State Competition Round.
- BISV’s Bay Area Math Olympiad 8 team won first place at the 2018 Bay Area Math Olympiad.
- Two of our students received Honorable Mentions at the 60th Annual Santa Clara University High School Mathematics Contest.
- The BISV Middle School Team won first place in the 1-400 Category at the Purple Comet Math Meet.
- We ranked in the top 5 Division M teams at the Silicon Valley Math Tournament
- Out of 370 students who participated, our grade 6 math team took first place at the Mathleague.org Elementary National Championship. Individually, three of our team members took home fourth, fifth and ninth places.
- BISV won over Piedmont Hills High School in the opening round of prosecution of the Santa Clara County Mock Trial Competition. Two of our students received MVP awards from the Piedmont Hills Team.
- BISV made it to preliminary rounds against Saratoga High School and Cupertino High School, advancing to the Quarter Finals
NATIONAL LATIN EXAM
BISV students collectively scored 20% above the national average on the National Latin Exam. Out of the 30 students who took the exam, 14 received gold medals, 10 received silver medals, and another three received ribbons. One of our grade 7 students earned a perfect score.
The BISV Quiz Bowl team won second place at Middle School Quiz Bowl National Tournament. One of our grade 8 students placed ninth out of 900 students and won an All-Star award for individual performance.
- Our SPACE CATS team placed third overall, and were recognized with the Judge’s Award as Rising Stars for their all-around performance at the Qualifying Tournament in the FIRST Lego League (FLL).
- The Robocat’s Viking squad took home the Judges Award at the VEX IQ Competition.
- Steven J. made it to the Honors list for his National Chemistry Olympiad results.
- BISV won various awards at the Synopsys Silicon Valley Science & Technology Championship, including first and second place.
- The BISV Division B Science Olympiad team won sixth place at the Science Olympiad State Finals, a great showing for a young team.
- Out of 26 students at the California state challenge, one of our grade 8 students won fourth place in the You Be a Chemist Challenge.
SPEECH AND DEBATE
- Two BISV students competed at The Tournament of Champions in Lexington, Kentucky, and both placed sixth in the country for Public Forum Debate. One of these same students was named the sixth best speaker of the entire tournament.
- Two BISV students competed at the National Speech and Debate Tournament in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, and placed fourth in the nation.
- Our Middle School team entered the 2018 Middle School State Tournament, with many members earning finalist positions, and three BISV students placing as state champions.
- One of our grade 11 students made it to the finalist round of the Breakthrough Junior Challenge. In this international contest, she was one of 30 finalists.
- One of our grade 7 students won the CBS Bay Area Spelling Bee, and traveled to the Scripps National Spelling Bee to make it through seven rounds of finals in one of the largest Bees in its 93 year history.
- One of our grade 10 students was named a Youth Ambassador to the newly created Youth Ambassador Council that will assist the USA Table Tennis Organization with promotion of the sport to younger audiences.
- One of our grade eight students completed her 50th swim to Alcatraz this spring
Quite an impressive list! We look forward to what the 2018-2019 academic year will bring.
Interested in joining the Bobcat community? Join our interest list below to receive admissions updates for fall 2019.