Though spring looks different than we expected, our students had a wonderful winter filled with a variety of in- and out-of-school academic and athletic competitions. Students were not only awarded for their hard work, but they had a lot of fun being challenged and achieving new goals. Read about their accomplishments from this past winter (December 2019–March 2020) below.
Congrats to all our Red-Tailed Hawks!
- In our school Scripps Spelling Bee, Neha R. ’24 earned 1st place with the word "absurdist." Fiona X. ’24 earned 2nd and Sofia J. ’24 earned 3rd.
- In our school National Geographic GeoBee, Matthew S. ’24 finished 1st, William S. ’25 placed 2nd, and Vincenzo T. ’25 placed 3rd.
- BIM students won the 2020 VA Scholastic and College Chess Championship in the K–12 1440 Section on March 6–8. The team included Ethan H. ’20, Charles T. ’20, Eric Ma ’21, and Benjamin W. ’23.! Ethan H. with 5/5 won the individual State Championship. Charles T. with 4.5/5 won the 2nd place in the State Championship.
- At the Virginia Latin Convention, several Red-Tailed Hawks received awards for their work:
- Warren H. 1st Place Reading Comp 1 Advanced and 2nd Place Grammar 1 Advanced
- Vivian X. 1st Place Reading Comp 1 Advanced and Myth 1 Advanced, and 2nd Place Grammar 1 Advanced
- Evan B. 2nd Place Dramatic Interpretation Boys 2
- Evie F. 2nd Place Jewelry 9
- Robert W. 3rd Place Dramatic Interpretation Boys 2
- Caroline S. 6th Dramatic Interpretation Girls Prose
- Olivia P. 7th Place Reading Comp 1 Advanced and Grammar 1 Advanced
- Sofia J. 8th Place Vocab 2
- Phoenix D. 10th Place Derivatives 1 Advanced
- Five of our Boys and Girls Varsity Basketball players made the division All-Star team:
- 1st Team: Victoria B. ’21, Ethan H. ’20, Adi Z. ’21
- 2nd Team: Karan M. ’21, Shalini S. ’22
- High school students performed the Dragon Dance on the FOX5 morning show to promote our Lunar New Year Celebration. Watch the performance here.
- The BIM A Quiz Bowl Team won 1st place at the Mountain Vista Governor's School Quiz Bowl Open. The team included Justin W. '21, Anna Y. '21, Kiran J. '20, and Jiaming Z. '21. Justin was the third highest event scorer out of approximately 100 participants.
- On Sat., Jan. 25, the BIM JV Quiz Bowl team placed 5th in the Mountain Vista Governor's School Quiz Bowl Open, which qualified the team to compete in the Small School National Championship tournament. Players included Raleigh W. '23, Ram T. '23, Nathan H. '23, and Cavan G. '23, who scored the highest number of points per game of all tournament players.
- Our Quiz Bowl Team placed third in the It's Academic tournament!
- In the Thomas Jefferson Middle School Quiz Bowl Tournament, William S. '25 placed 3rd.
- Based on their performance at various Quiz Bowl events this season, Abhiram G. ’26, Lillian S. ’27, William S. ’25, Justin W. ’21, and Cavan G. ’23 were invited to participate in the Individual Player National Championship Tournament, which brings together top Quiz Bowl competitors from across the country.
- Our two Middle School Quiz Bowl teams participated in 2020 Georgetown Prep Middle School Invitational on February 22. Team A (Matthew S. ’24, Brian Z. ’24, Charles H. ’24) won 2nd place. Team B (William S. ’25, Abhiram G. ’26, Lillian S. ’27, Mohan P. ’27) won 3rd place. The following also ranked in the top 10 individual:
- Matthew S. ’24: 2nd place
- William S. ’25: 3rd place
- Abhiram G. ’26: 4th place
- Brian Z. ’24: 8th place
Speech & Debate
- The Debate Team competed at the Broad Run Spartan Invitational. The team of seniors Nathan S. '20 and Avi S. '20 won 3rd place in the varsity division, and the team of Mohan L. '22 and Wesley W. '22 won 6th place in the Junior Varsity division.
- At the Stone Bridge High School Speech & Debate Tournament, the team of juniors Saranga B. '21 and Sreeya R. '21 went undefeated and placed 2nd in the varsity division, and the team of seniors Nathan S. '20 and Avi S. '20 placed 3rd.
- The debate team of Neil B. '22 and Cynthia T. '23 went undefeated and took 4th place in the novice division of the TC Williams High School Debate Tournament.
- Our Science Olympiad Team Division B participated in NCS Invitational. The teams below placed or received medals!
- Phoenix D. ’25 & Cameron C. ’25 – 2nd Place Machines
- Matthew S. ’24 – 3rd Place Road Scholar
- Caden Z. ’26 & Abhiram G. ’26 – 3rd Place Density Lab
- Ronica K. ’24 & Anaya B. ’24 – 5th Place Crime Busters
- James F. ’26 & Oliver W. ’26 – 5th Place Fossils
- The following teams placed in the Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament:
- Mousetrap Vehicle: Phoenix D. & Cameron C. '25
- Machine: Phoenix D. & Cameron C. '25
- Circuit Lab: Caden Z. '25 & Oliver W. '26
- Mission Impossible: Sanvi C. & Srikha M. '26
- In the regional Science Olympiad event, following event teams took top placements and medaled in their events:
- Boomiliver: Phoenix ’25 + Cameron ’25
- Circuit Lab: Caden ’25 + Oliver ’26
- Crime Buster: Ronica ’25 + Anaya ’25
- Crime Buster: Catie ’26 + Hera ’26
- Density Lab: Caden ’25 + Abhiram ’26
- Food Science: Matthew ’24 + Anika ’25
- Heredity: Chetan ’26+ Kaavya ’25
- Machines: Phoenix ’25 + Cameron ’25
- Mouse Trap Vehicle: Phoenix ’25 + Cameron ’25
- James '26, Sanvi '26, Srikha '26, and Natasha '25 are also part of the team who helped earn the 4th place school finish. Sriya ’24 and Siddarth ’26 also contributed.
Model United Nations
- At the Williamsburg Middle School Model UN Conference, Cameron C. ’25 won Outstanding Delegate as Marshall Golubev on the Russia/ China Committee, Abhiram G. ’26 earned honorable mention as Israel on the Israel Palestine Conflict Committee, and Bryson K. ’25 and Om S. ’25 earned a team honorable mention as the US on the ECOSOS Committee.
- At the William and Mary's High School Model United Nations Conference, Mohan L. received a verbal commendation for representing Chad in his committee.
WuShu Martial Arts
- The Wushu Club students participated in the 3rd Annual Sparring Competition, a Chinese Martial Arts Tournament, hosted by Rong’s Kung Fu Academy. Zane X. ’24 won 1st place in the light weight group. Shaun J. ’24 and Peter T. ’20 both won the 3rd place in medium weight group.
- Shaun J. ’24 and Peter T. ’20 of our Wushu Martial Arts Club performed at the Wizards-Hornets NBA game at Capitol One Arena.
Individual Student Accomplishments
- Violet Z. and her team (DC EDGE Synchronized Skating Teams) won 1st place at the Preliminary Level in the 2019 25th Annual Cape Cod Synchronized Skating Classic. Her team also earned 2nd place (Silver) at Eastern Synchronized Skating Sectional Championship!
- Jamal B. ’21 wrote “Reduce, Reuse, Confuse: The Issue of Recycling in America” for the McLean Connection. He also spoke at the Fairfax Youth Climate Strike.
- Mia Z. ’30 and Ava K. ’30 competed in a swim meet and both placed in the top three in their events—freestyle, backstroke, and breaststroke events.
- Sonja ’22 and Susanna '28 B. are in the Wizard of Oz performed by the St. Andrew’s Players in March at St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church.
- Ava K.'32 has been accepted to Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth Program this summer.
- Kingston Z. '27 won the silver medal in the Jedi Challenge Fencing Competition!
PCA (Parent Community Association)-sponsored Community Service
- For the PCA Hawks Care Giving Tree, the 230 gifts donated will bring 230 smiles for children in need. The toys were delivered to Share of McLean. Thank you, BIM community, for showing up time after time, and proving that our Hawks really do care! A special thanks to Neha Schneider for leading this Hawks Care effort.
- Our BIM community donated the food required to fill 488 Power Packs of food that were distributed by the non-for-profit Food for Others to students in Fairfax County who do not have access to enough food over the weekends. Thanks to all who donated and to all BIM students, parents, and staff who joined yesterday for the packing and pizza party! A special thanks to Shaleen Belani for leading this Hawks Care effort!