It’s been a great fall here at BASIS Independent McLean! Our students participated in a variety of in- and out-of-school academic and athletic competitions. Students were not only awarded for their hard work, but they had a lot of fun being challenged and achieving new goals. Read about their accomplishments below.
Congrats to all our Red-Tailed Hawks!
- Two Middle School Quiz Bowl teams participated in Burleigh Manor Middle School Invitational Quiz Bowl Tournament on Nov. 16. Team A passed the qualification to compete at 2020 Middle School National Championship Tournament (MSNCT) to be held on May 8–10, 2020. Team A included Abhiram G. ’26, Andy Z. ’24, Charles H. ’24, and William S. ’25. Three students received personal fossil awards: William, Abhiram, and Lillian S. ’27.
- On Oct. 6, the BIM B team finished third of 48 teams in the regional Centennial 2019 Quiz Bowl Competition Standard Division. Players included Cavan G. '23, Rithik P. '23, Matthew S. '24, Raleigh W. '23, and Brian Z. '24. The BIM C team of Abhiram G. '26, Charles H. '24, Sofia J. '24, and Andy Z. '24 finished in the top 15. Cavan won the award for most points earned by an individual across all tournament players, and Abhiram placed 9th overall in his division.
- Our High School Quiz Bowl team of Justin W. '21, Anna Y.' 22, and Sam K. won their episode of It's Academic quiz show!
- The BASIS Independent McLean Varsity Quiz Bowl Team took 2nd place (9W-1L) in a field of 24 teams at the Georgetown University Invitational on October 12. Justin W. ’21 was top individual scorer (out of 92 players). Other team players included Anna Y. ’21, Jiaming Z. ’21, Sam K. and Kiran J. ’20.
- At Woodgrove High School’s debate tournament the team of seniors Avi S. and Nathan S. received 5th place in the varsity division.
- On October 12, the Debate teams of seniors Avi S. and Nathan S. and juniors Saranga B. and Sreeya R. went undefeated in the varsity division of Public Forum Debate at Yorktown High School. Nathan and Avi placed 2nd overall, and Sreeya and Saranga placed 6th overall. Both teams will represent the school at the league championship in March.
- Jamal B. ’21 won 2nd place in the Intermediate Group at the second Mandarin Chinese Speech Contest held by Washington Metropolitan Association of Chinese Schools (WMACS) on Nov. 9.
- Middle School Cross Country runners Hannah L.' 23 and Mackenzie F. '24 placed in the top 10 at the St. Anselm's Weekday Challenge #1 in the 2 Miles event.
- Hudson C. '26 won 1st place in the Boys' 12 Singles division of the ASM Tennis Cup Series Fall L8.
- Chloe G. '27 is ranked #2 in Eastern US and #6 in USA in 50 Breast stroke, reached AAAA standard, and qualified for 2020 Junior Olympics.
- Caden C. '28 won the Cub Scout Dr. Luis Walter Alvarez Supernova Award.
- Sean J. ’21 won his first national-level title in doubles at the United States Tennis Association (USTA) National Level 2 U-16 Boys Clay Court Tournament on October 14. He also competed in the singles competition and was a semi-finalist.
- Tahiyah H. ’27 won first and second place medals in the Turkey Tango women's foil Y12 and Y10, respectively. In the Pumpkin Poke women's foil, she won second in Y10 and third in Y12.
- Sahar H. ’31 won second place in the Pumkin Poke women's foil Y8 and third place in the Turkey Tango.