Though this school year was certainly different from previous years, it did not alter our students' perseverance, drive, or dedication to subjects, projects, clubs, and competitions they love. From science and math to drama and our own house system, our students of all ages accomplished a lot in the spring of 2021. Below we highlight their successes. Congratulations, Red-Tailed Hawks!
BIM House System
We are excited to announce Head of House and Assistant Head of House for our four houses! High school students were invited to apply for these leadership positions and faculty/staff in each house voted on the applications.
- Air: Suman S. '23, Head & Pranav A. '23, Assistant Head
- Earth: Maria L. '23, Head & Charlie R. '23, Assistant Head
- Fire: Shalini S. '22, Head & Anjali J. '23, Assistant Head
- Water: Benjamin W. '23, Head & Cynthia T. '23, Assistant Head
Our Science Olympiad teams were very active in this year’s virtual competitions. Read more about our middle school SciO team’s regional wins as they headed to states in our blog here.
At the State finals, the top six event teams/partners are recognized and medaled, and we have:
- Machines 2nd | Caden Z. '25, Phoenix D. '25
- Digital Structures 3rd | Brandon D. '26, Phoenix D. '25
- Heredity 3rd | William D. '26, Kaavya B. '25
- Helicopter 4th | Mohan P. '27, Kameron L. '27
- Circuit Lab 5th | Caden S. '25, Oliver W. '26
- Code Buster 5th | William D. '26, Rebecca C. '27, Sophia W. '27
- Density Lab 6th | Caden Z. '25, Abhiram G. '26
- Water Quality 6th | Anika K '25, Carson S. '26
For Division A (grades 3-5) of the Virginia Science Olympiad, only one state-wide event is held each year. Ten BIM students placed in the top 10 of their event:
- Wright Stuff 3rd | Dhilan S. ’30, Max M. ’30
- Write It CAD It 4th | Sophia M. ’30, Sherveen R. ’30
- Chopper Challenge 8th | Ava K. ’30, Shenghan X. ’30
- Mission Possible 9th | Derin E. ’29, Devin S.’29
- Reach for the Stars 10th | Ainsley C. ’30, Emery D. ’30
- At the WACFL Public Forum Debate Tournament, the team of Chelsea H. ’24 and Cynthia T. ’23 went undefeated and won first place in the Junior Varsity division.
- At the WACFL Public Forum Debate Tournament, the Debate team of Carmen H. '24 and Paulina H. '24 went undefeated and took 3rd place in the Novice division.
- Cavan G. '23, Nathan H. '23, Ram P. '23, Rithik P. '23, and Raleigh W. '23 placed fifth out of 50 teams at the Small School National Championship Tournament. Placing second out of 256 players, Cavan was also a tournament All-Star.
- Our middle school Quiz Bowl teams participated in 2021 TQBA Olive & Oak Soiree event in February. Team A (Abhiram G. '26, Caden Z. '25, Kaavya B. '25, and Oliver W. '26) participated in MS-Uber Division. Abhiram G. '26 ranked No. 3 in MS-Uber Division. Team B (Anna W. '27, Lillian S. '27, Mohan P. '27, and Natalie W. '27) participated in Elementary School Division. Team B won 2nd place with Mohan P. '27 ranking No. 1, and Lillian S. '27 ranking No. 5 in Elementary School Division.
In the State Level Elementary mathleague contest, the following students placed and qualified for the National event!
- Overall Grade 6
- 1st: Rebecca C. '27
- 2nd: Anna W. '27
- 4th: Chloe G.' 27
- Overall Grade 3
- 1st: Owen H. '30
- 3rd: Lydia H. '33
In the National competition, BASIS Independent McLean's team placed 12th! In the grade 6 category, Rebecca C. '27 placed 19th, and Anna W. '27 placed 23rd. In the grade 3 category, Owen H. '30 placed 23rd.
- Chloe G. '27, Aidan G. '25, Aiden F. '25, and Rebecca C. '27 advanced to the MATHCOUNTS Chapter Invitational contest this year.
- At the WOLFMUN conference, Om S. '25 earned Honorable Mention as Pakistan on the UN Security Council, and Abhiram G. '26 earned an Honorable Mention as Tsar Nicholas II in the Historical Crisis-WWI.
- Our two middle school Science Bowl teams participated in 2021 Virginia Regional Science Bowl on March 6. Both Team 1 (Abhiram G. '26, Caden Z. '25, Edward S. '26, Kaavya B. '25, and Phoenix D. '25) and Team 2 (Anna W. '27, Lillian S. '27, Mohan P. '27, Natalie W. '27, and Oliver W. '26) went to Elimination Rounds. BIM is the only school that have both teams qualified into Elimination Rounds. Additionally, Team 1 won 3rd place!
- Our Drama Club presented a world-premiered drive-through play! Learn all about it in our blog.
- Middle and high school students received honors based on their performance on a 2021 national language exam. Read about each student’s accomplishments in our blog here.
- We welcomed the Société Honoraire de Français (SHF) to campus in January. The inaugural SHF members joined new members of our Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica in a joint in-person, socially distanced induction ceremony in January. Read more about it in our blog here.
- Mohan P. '27 was one of two student artists featured in the Politico article "Time for a New Uncle Sam." The article asks "how can we make Uncle Sam more up to date?" and asked readers what their new vision for the old icon might be. View Mohan's art here.
- In the Junior Grand Prix, Suman S. '23 won a gold medal in the Mixed Team Match and placed 7th in the Women's Air Pistol. She has a chance to be selected to represent the USA in the Youth Pan American Games.
- In the Science Fair, Chelsea H. '24 was one of the two Grand Prize winners and earned the privilege to compete at the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair in May. She also earned First Place in the Environmental Science Category and advanced to the Virginia State Science Fair Competition in April. Additionally, she received a special award for First Place in Systems Sciences & Applications, and First Place for Navy Award!
- Chelsea H. '24 won second place in the Virginia State Science & Engineering Fair the environmental sciences category for her project titled "Eastern Skunk Cabbages: A Natural and Sustainable Solution for Combating Bank Erosion."
- Chelsea H. '24 won third place in the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair! More than seven million students competed for 1,600 spots in the fair.
- Chloe G. '27 advanced to the finals of the Junior Olympic Championship Swimming Meet before the spring break and placed 3rd in the 200m breaststroke.
Photo by Erwan Hesry on Unsplash.